Yellow-Tail Congo Tetra
This African tetra is good-sized and develops bright yellow and blue coloration as it matures! We are pleased to offer tank-bred specimens.
The Yellow-Tail Congo Tetra (Alestopetersius caudalis) is a very attractive and somewhat uncommon schooling fish for the planted community aquarium. It has an overall silver body, but develops intense, iridescent blue, green, and gold coloration as it matures. Males also develop very elegant fin extensions with maturity. The Yellow-Tail Congo Tetra grows to a larger size than many other well-known tetra species, but it is still very peaceful and is a wonderful fish for larger setups. A school of adults is quite a sight to see!
The Yellow-Tail Congo Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe to keep with other peaceful, small fish. Though it has a relatively robust, larger body than many smaller tetras, it has a very small mouth. It is not a good tankmate for dwarf shrimp, but it could be kept with larger, peaceful invertebrates too large to be considered prey. Since it is tank-bred, the Yellow-Tail Congo Tetra is fairly adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. This fish should be kept in schools of at least 6-8 specimens and will display its best coloration in a group that includes males and females.
While not a picky eater, the Yellow-Tail Congo Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or live foods of appropriate size will all be readily accepted.
- Elegant coloration and finnage, especially in males
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for the planted aquarium
- Temperature: 72° - 79° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 5.0 - 7.5 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 3 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30+ gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry, frozen, and live foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Democratic Republic of Congo, Africa
- Average adult size: 2 - 2.4 inches (5 - 6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
We Also Recommend
Glo Widow Tetra (Various Colours)
Electric Blue Ramirezi Large
Yellow Fiddler Crab