Neolamprologus cylindricus 2.75-3"
The Cylinder Cichlid Neolamprologus cylindricus is a handsome, hardy fish from the south eastern part of Lake Tanganyika, Africa. It is a more recently described cichlid species that is similar in shape and behaviour to its close relative, the well known Lemon Cichlid Neolamprologus leleupi. It is as brightly colored as the Leleupi but it also has a very striking patterning with bold black and white bands. Because of its elongated cylindrical body shape, it is also commonly known as the Cylindricus Cichlid. This is a very attractive fish that adds a unique colour palate to any Tanganyika biotope aquarium.
There are several slightly different colour morphs, but all the varieties have ten dark vertical stripes along the body. Some also have blue edging on the fins and just under the eye. In each variety the males and females are both colored the same but those from the northern part of their range have lighter, brownish black bands.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very popular in the aquarium hobby
- Incredible coloration with maturity
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73.4° - 81° F (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 8.0 - 9.0
- KH: 9 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 180 gallons for a group of adults
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behaviour: Gregarious with its own kind. Can be compatible with durable fish too large to be considered prey
We Also Recommend
Taiwan Reef Cichlid 2.5inch