Blue Diamond Discus 3.5-4”
The Blue Diamond Discus is a species of Discus popular because of its vibrant iridescent blue color. The brilliant blue from this strain is the result of wild caught specimens selectively bred based on favourable mutations in their color. The result is a solid blue species of Discus. The Blue Diamond discus are unique with thin oval shaped bodies and long decorated fins. The overall color of the Blue Discus will depend on the strain, mood and health of the fish. Dark, patchy, hiding or skittish fish should be avoided as they are the most likely to carry disease, worms or be experiencing a high level of stress.
The discus has become one of the more prominent species in the aquarium and the Blue Diamond Discus is one of the most popular strains purchased by hobbyists. The approximate size in purchasing the Blue Discus is from 2 ½” to 3”. Smaller purchasing sizes of the Blue Diamond discus should be avoided as they are far more susceptible to stress, disease and growth complications.
When healthy, Blue Diamond Discus is a voracious omnivore. It should be fed a variety of live, frozen, and dry foods. It is not much of a fish eater, but will feed on a variety of krill, shrimp, bloodworms, and other invertebrate-based meaty foods. It must also have a good deal of vegetable matter, such as spirulina, spinach, and peas, in its diet.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very elegant appearance and behavior
- Extra tall body shape
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Excellent centerpiece fish for the heavily planted aquarium
- Seemingly endless color varieties
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 82° - 86° F (28° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 6.5
- KH: 1 – 4 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons for a breeding pair. A larger tank is required for a group. The tall body shape of this fish must be considered regarding the height of its tank.
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live foods with invertebrate and vegetable matter is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behaviour: Shoaling. Generally peaceful, but can be territorial during spawning.
We Also Recommend
Red Mandarin Discus 4"
Lemon Yellow Discus 4-4.5”